zondag 20 december 2015

Costa Rica, Caribbean adventures: part 2

Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, reggae time Costa Rica!

Well, Puerto Viejo was also reggae time for my birding.
Relaxing at the beach enjoying birds.
As with the Costa Rica locations I already discussed I will highlight 3 bird species:
the magpie jay, the brown pelican and the magnificent frigate bird.

You're drinking your coconut cocktail and suddenly you hear noises above in the trees.
There are those blue-white magpie jays again, with their long tails and crest of headfeathers.
But why were they so noisy?
The answer materialized nearby. Some kind of hawk was sitting silently in the top of the tree nearby. First time I saw mobbing in Costa Rica. Nice!

I always like observing birds hunting. And the brown pelican did not disappoint me.
Not afraid of anyone, it crashed into the water amidst swimmers and surfers.
But it also could soar for half an hour spotting fish.
A real reggae bird, laid-back pelican.

The forke-tailed magnificent frigate birds, one of the 5 species of frigate or Man-of-War birds
Soaring high in the sky (unfortunately without the scarlet throat pouch, not the breeding season), it attracted my attention because it was not afraid of the vultures which were soaring meters away.
Well, the magnificent frigate bird has a wingspan of more than 2 meters, so I can understand the vulture.

Just a taste of the laid-back birds of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca.
Next time the birds of the Arenal region (we go vulcano!) will be discussed,
 





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten